Thursday, July 21, 2011

Using Cabinets to Display Reading Genres

When I posted a few days ago about my Scott Foresman Reading Street display, I completely forgot about my reading genres. I snapped this picture right before I took them down yesterday. Each week, we discuss what genre the weekly story is and then place it in  
the appropriate section.
 
I have some issues with the way I did this. I love using the cabinets. It saved wall space, which is always a good thing. In case you haven't noticed, I love to fill my ENTIRE walls with boards, posters, etc. :)  But..... I do not like that I wrote them on different colored sentence stripes. Looks messy to me. I think they would have been much better typed out in cute font. That's is the plan for how I do them this year. I also plan to come up with some cuter genre posters. Those were given to us, but I would like to create my own so I've started working on them. I think it will spice it up a little. If you would like a copy of the Genre Posters, just let me know I'll email them or post them. :) Here's how all the genres look on all the cabinets. 

17 comments:

  1. I would love to see your genre posters. We are starting Reading Street this year- any tips? I teach fifth grade. Also I love your little blue bird. Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see your genre posters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love the genre posters please :)

    kimberlycollatos@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie,
    That is a really neat idea! I have some cabinets that I could use for this very thing! I also teach first grade and use Reading Street (2008). I would love to see your genre posters.
    lparce@hotmail.com

    *the "l" is a letter-not a number in my email! Thanks for the offer to share. Liz in South Dakota

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, please do post them! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love them!! I have been checking your blog every day to see how your room is looking. I also use Reading Street- I really like all your things for it. Your room is beautiful by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would also love a copy of your posters. They would be a great addition. What a great idea! I love watching the progress of getting your room ready for another year. What an exciting place you have created for your firsties to live and learn in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you be willing to do a Reading Street linky party? I would like to see what other teachers do with their series! Love your ideas!!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Mireya
    yayaagu@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have those genre posters, too and i love them, but i think they're a little much for the younger kiddos. i would love to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your great ideas. I also use Reading Street and would love a copy of the genre posters.
    Donna

    Donnasamp@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also have those genre posters that you used last year. I would love some updated ones!
    Thanks for sharing!
    megan.e.monroe@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me, me! I want to see your genre posters too!
    That would be an awesome share!
    lilprairieteacher@gmail.com

    First Grade Frame of Mind

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to see your genre posters.
    Thanks,
    Brenda Jasper
    librarylady921@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to see the genre posters. I like the idea of posting the story titles.

    deforge4@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to see the genre posters. I liek the idea of posting the story titles.

    cindy_deforge@cvsd.k12.pa.us

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Leslie Ann,
    I would love a copy of the genre posters please.

    Thanks in advance and take care.

    Roxanne
    foxysexyroxy10@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete