Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Classroom decorating: Day One

I confess: one of my favorite things about teaching is decorating my classroom. Love, love, love it! I love thinking about new colors for bulletin boards and new things to create. I love changing up the layout of the classroom so that it has a different feel than the previous year. Today I went out to work in my classroom. This is what I open the door to:


Needless to say, there's a lot of work to be done, especially after I tore down the only two boards I left up, the focus board and the word wall. I have some cute ideas in my head, so hopefully they will turn out the way they appear in my mind. :) 
The one thing I got done today was the fabric and border for the math board. I have NEVER made a math/calendar board that I have liked, or left the same all year. Soooo, I decided to theme this one around Dr. Seuss. I absolutely adore Dr. Seuss, so I'm hoping he will help me create a cute math area. I'm loving it so far, even if I haven't put anything on it yet :)
*** Disregard the number line. I'm redoing it and using my Dr. Seuss number line when I find where I've put it....

You really can't tell in the picture, but the fabric is red polka dot. It looks maroon in the pic, but it's more of a red red. Of course I forgot my camera so I had to use my iphone, which accounts for the bad pic quality. 
More pics to come!

7 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your room when its done! Loved it last year! I have a completely blank room to walk into... um 2 weeks before school starts (barely 2 weeks, wamp wamp). Thank you summer school for taking away the joy of decorating the room... it'd be a lot more fun if I could get in there earlier!
    Happy decorating! I'll check back for you pictures of your super cute room!
    -Ms. Simoneaux
    http://firstgradefresh.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUPER JEALOUS of your shelf! Can't wait to see the finished product! :0)
    Kelly
    All In A First Grade Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't wait to see your classroom. It is huge....soooo jealous. :-)
    Enjoy! It is fun to set up... I would love to get into my room and start, since I'm moving into a new classroom this school year. Well, not so new... same classroom, just one floor up! LOL! But I don't want to set it up the same way I did in 1st. I want something different for 2nd grade since I have the same kids.
    Good Luck and Have fun!!

    Debi
    Just 4 Teachers: Sharing Across Borders

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely looking room - I'm loving the yellow walls. The pink and green bulletin boards really stand out and look great. I look forward to seeing the finished room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you have done so far is adorable. I also love Dr. Seuss!!!!:) Have fun decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute! I can't wait to see all the "after" pictures :) And did you know the Target dollar bins have TONS of Dr. Seuss stuff right now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my favorite part of August. You are so good already in your classroom. Can't wait to see all the pictures. I will share my transformations too.
    -Lauren
    www.weeklyhive.blogspot.com
    Come share with me!

    ReplyDelete